Sunday, February 5, 2012

Food Pictures! =)

 This is the typical size of carrot here!  Normally I get an allergic reaction when I eat raw carrots in the States (minor itching) but here I've had no problems.

 Beef stew with plantains, onions, red peppers, herbs, paprika, and fresh cheese.

 Api -- a sweet warm beverage made from black corn and spiced with cinnamon, cloves, and orange zest.

Api makes me happy! =)   

I am so lucky-- my host mom is an amazing cook and puts together an elaborate spread for breakfast and lunch everyday.  Here's a fruit platter for breakfast. 

Moussaka-- layers of eggplant, ground beef, and cheese. 

We had porridge for breakfast (homemade) and it was incredible.  My host mom started simmering the oats several hours before I even woke up.  She used cinnamon sticks, sugar, milk.

Dulce de Membrillo - a firm, sticky, sweet/tart jam made from a fruit called membrillo (also called quince fruit).  It's cut into cubes and spread on crackers.  Mmmm. 

 My host mom making pancakes.

We had pancakes this morning. 

 My host mom made homemade syrup from sugar canes.

 For lunch today my host mom made sausages, a couple types of potatoes, toast, fancy salad, and watermelon for dessert.

Yummy salad with various fresh herbs, radishes, carrots, and queso fresco (fresh cheese-- i've not tasted anything like it in the states)

No comments:

Post a Comment